CWAL Ops Wiki     CWAL Ops DKP     CWAL IRC     Manno Forums     Wowhead     CWAL Gaming     WoW Progress - Mannoroth     World of Logs - Ops 

CWAL Ops

http://youtu.be/cbpuzYtp43Q
It is currently Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:29 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Avatar - the movie
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:39 pm  

r awesome

Cyntholme wrote:
I don't know anyone who watches movies that someone recorded with a camcorder in an actual theater. I wouldn't actually suspect the studios to lose that much money to that sort of piracy, at least not in the US. People that will pay money for a shitty quality version of the movie aren't going to be paying much less than actually going to a theater to see it. And the stuff that is pirated over in Asia aren't camcorder bullshit, they're the actual top quality goods. And people that will download shitty camcorder quality ripoffs from the internet for free wouldn't be going to the theatre to see the movie anyway. I hardly ever go to the theatre, and it's because of a few reasons, but mostly because I don't want to sit and watch something when I'm surrounded by assholes.

While I was in Iraq I got to see a lot of those pirated movies. There were a few little shops on base that sold these DVDs 5 for $10! Within the first week of a movie being released they had a copy of that movie in these shops, about half the time those movies were recorded in a theater with a camcorder. After about 2-3 weeks they generally had a 'good copy' of the movie, but it wasn't what I would expect if I buy a DVD from a retailer.

-
Its true.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:10 pm  

Plunder Bunny
Character: Gaendelf

Bontron wrote:
While I was in Iraq I got to see a lot of those pirated movies. There were a few little shops on base that sold these DVDs 5 for $10! Within the first week of a movie being released they had a copy of that movie in these shops, about half the time those movies were recorded in a theater with a camcorder. After about 2-3 weeks they generally had a 'good copy' of the movie, but it wasn't what I would expect if I buy a DVD from a retailer.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:53 pm  

Plunder Bunny

Gaendelf wrote:
Bontron wrote:

Exactly.

Would you have paid theatre prices to go see each one of those movies that they crammed onto a DVD?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:02 pm  

r awesome

Cyntholme wrote:
Gaendelf wrote:
Bontron wrote:

Exactly.

Would you have paid theatre prices to go see each one of those movies that they crammed onto a DVD?

Nope. I'm not much of a theater goer... I also didn't have that option. But probably wouldn't have gone. Maybe would have seen a couple of the bigger ticket ones. Sheeit I probably watched movies I wouldn't have rented.

-
Its true.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:26 pm  

Plunder Bunny

Bontron wrote:
Cyntholme wrote:
Gaendelf wrote:
Bontron wrote:

Exactly.

Nope. I'm not much of a theater goer... I also didn't have that option. But probably wouldn't have gone. Maybe would have seen a couple of the bigger ticket ones. Sheeit I probably watched movies I wouldn't have rented.

So I think the bigger problem for the movie studios is that they wouldn't have been able to get your meat in the seats anyway. How could they possibly expect to make money off of 3rd world nations anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:40 pm  

Overlordus Ultimatus
Character: Cogfizzle

3d TVs exist now, true. But only as an emerging technology. Which means they're not very good, and so expensive that only wealthy peoples (or early adopters with savings) can purchase them. Furthermore, I don't believe any downloads from the internet are 3D enabled (I'm not even sure it's possible to make computers talk to 3d TVs yet without being a hacker), and I honestly couldn't tell you if any existing BRD/DVD players can output a 3d data stream (I'm guessing no).

The industry is talking something like 2-4 years for a 3dtv rollout. Unlike the old cyan/magenta glasses of times past, 3dtv uses rotational polarization, which requires special hardware. And the technology isn't even good yet - the constant glasses are a huge pain (they're tolerable for movie length things, but I wouldn't want to wear them ALL the time to watch TV). Small screens also lose the immersion of a big screen, because it fills way less of your visual space, so background objects distract from it. Then you have the adoption problem. Sony will tell you that everyone will run out to buy them asap, and we'll be watching 3d tv is two years. In reality, the recent digital TV broadcast transition required a government subsidy on converters because so. many. people. had old analog-only sets. And digital is a tech that's been around for way longer than 3dtv has.

3dtv also has issues with positioning. It's fine if you're in the sweet spot in your own house. But if you bring friends over:
a) They all need glasses
b) The people sitting on an odd viewing angle won't get the proper 3d effect (in movies, almost everyone in the theatre is "in front" of some part of the screen. In your living room, you can maybe fit three people sitting in "front" of a TV screen comfortably, before some friends start having to sit to the sides)

So pirating 3d movies is contingent on both the availability of digital 3d rips (which you can't just camcord - and the movies are DRM protected at the projector), and the widespread adoption of hardware capable of presenting it. So they've actually done pretty well insofar as a "reason for people to go to theatres". And of course, nothing lasts forever anyway. Expecting something like this to be a "forever solution" would be naive (whether they do or not, I don't know).

Quote:
So I think the bigger problem for the movie studios is that they wouldn't have been able to get your meat in the seats anyway. How could they possibly expect to make money off of 3rd world nations anyway?

They probably don't. Or at least not to the extent more wealthy nations make money. But that's not who these things are targeted at anyway, because those people were very likely not even potential customers in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:47 pm  

r awesome

3D movies blow IMHO. I don't think it adds to the experience, and is kind of annoying. Would we all run out and buy more books if the book industry starting having scratch and sniff pages?

-
Its true.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:54 pm  

Plunder Bunny
Character: Winter_______

Enough 3D talk go see the movie it was good. Disclaimer: I liked dancing with wolves. :P

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:26 am  

r awesome

Just saw this in regular old movie format. It made me happy, then sad, then happy again and now I'm sad.

-
Its true.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:50 am  

Plunder Bunny

this movie was amazing in imax 3D.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:39 am  

Corrupter of Cookies

Bontron wrote:
Would we all run out and buy more books if the book industry starting having scratch and sniff pages?

Yes.

I could try not to be evil. Sometimes I think that maybe for the love of the right woman I could do it. You know, the kind of woman that would make me not evil, but then I think she'd probably want to talk to me afterwards, and who wants to put up with THAT?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:04 pm  

Last place, Pretty Points System

Setzar wrote:
Bontron wrote:
Would we all run out and buy more books if the book industry starting having scratch and sniff pages?

Yes.

Does it work with a kindle?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:29 pm  

Plunder Bunny

9 foot tall blue humanoid cats. Wow. What an epic tale.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:18 pm  

textextext

pasha wrote:
I agree with Ravage that the movie was pretty predictable... but in a good way. It felt like it led to the logical conclusion, instead of being derivative.

Also, a note on the 3d. It was really well done. Because its just for depth and vivid environments, instead of the standard kid movie fair where people spend 90min repeatedly throwing things directly at the screen for cheap reactions.

The General was very 1 dimensional for me, though they tried very hard to give him depth.

The guy who was, in theory, running things gets about a 2.5 dimensions rating from me... And they didn't actually seem to try give him any depth, if anything, they seemed to like using him for comic relief.

And considering the climax of the movie revolves around the General being 1 dimensional all the way to the end with the Corporate Head Guy being a spineless 2 dimensional shill to the end, I'm somewhat disappointed in the movie overall.

That being said, they did do a good job of making me care, as Selethar put it.

All that being said, it is very much Dances With Wolves.... in Space.

As for the 3-D, I barely noticed it. There were a couple moments here and there, it helped with the immersion at a couple points, but bordered on gimmick at those points(I noticed it wasn't "showing normally") as he didn't really have a need to be doing those particular things.. And was slightly immersion breaking on at least one other point... So it was either really well done, or such that I could have done the 2-D showing and not missed much. Without a 2-D showing option around here, it'll be a while before I can try to compare.

Edit: Also I think the Pandorians were done the way they were in order to skirt around the "uncanny valley" problem, if they make them non-human enough, it makes it easier for people to accept the image being presented to them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:09 pm  

Master of the FRIDGE!

TD, as far as the colonel is concerned, you know that's what they think of most military officers right? Look at the rest of the soldiers.

Remember that every trial that the Lord gives you is to show you that He alone can guide you to true peace and contentment in this life, and that, through faith in Him and his sacrifice on the cross, He will lead you to everlasting joy after this life ends.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next