CWAL Ops Wiki     CWAL Ops DKP     CWAL IRC     Manno Forums     Wowhead     CWAL Gaming     WoW Progress - Mannoroth     World of Logs - Ops 

CWAL Ops

http://youtu.be/cbpuzYtp43Q
It is currently Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:45 pm

Post subject: Blizzard is kind of killing it for me.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:49 pm  
Plunder Bunny

Blizzards reputation based progression wall is killing the game for me. I know there's more content I haven't done and that it's good. But after a few hours I run into some kind of built in wall, making any further activity pointless. I won't earn any more rep or points or currency for what I'm doing.

I would compare it to being little kid and seeing those coin-op car rides at the mall. Where wiggles for a few seconds and then stops. And even as a pre-schooler you think to yourself "this is bullshit"

Post subject: Re: Blizzard is kind of killing it for me.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:55 am  
Plunder Bunny

I've got 3 days left on my subscription. I'm not sure when I'll hop back in. It's really strange. Blizzard makes what I think are incredibly retarded design choices. Either they don't make any content and basically throw in some farmville / facebook bullshit (The Farm and Garrisons), or they do make enough but lock it behind a wall that doesn't even let people get in a quarter of the game play could have on any given day.

Garrisons should have been guild halls. And instead of doing guild halls they gave us halls but for classes instead. Which ins't bad but still kind of retarded.
I'm probably going to experience Legion on Youtube.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:26 pm  

Plunder Bunny

Wonder how many more expansions they will put out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:04 pm  
Plunder Bunny

I guess as long as it's financially viable. They probably would have had a higher sub count and core user base if they hadn't done 6 years of filler that had nothing to do with anything. On the other hand their numbers are still higher than other MMO's so while things were 'low' they were only low by WoW standards and it was still, and does still; make more money than all other MMOs.

The people who made blizzard what it was are largely gone now so it's not surprising to see them become just another generic developer/publisher at this point. I mean they went from having about the same amount of office space as I had back when I was employing people to having a fucking statue in a plaza connecting to two buildings that were custom built to suit their needs.

The only real 'loss' I feel is that there isn't anything to really fill the gap. Playing with 40 other people to achieve a huge goal on a weekly basis was awesome. Even when Puff was trying to scam rolls to get his guild geared faster or Brotherhood of Nine were being frat-fags. The only other MMO that seemed up to par was PlanetSide 2 but that got hit with retarded design syndrome as well.

At least it's easier than ever to legitimately get a dev-kit for nearly anything.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:06 pm  

Plunder Bunny

I agree, especially with Metzen leaving. I know developer studios change a lot (see Bioware, even) when they get picked up by larger distributors.

That shooter game they have seems to be doing well, but their MOBA hasn't come close to LoL in terms of popularity.

But I think you are right. As long as it makes money.

And no, those days of Puff and Olgra/Thinktank are long gone. But Niko still needs a fort!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:52 pm  
Plunder Bunny

Yeah. Overwatch is the only blizzard game I currently play. I figured when SC2 was announced 500 years ago. that I would end up playing that excessively. I played WarCraft 1 consistently for years, Warcraft 2 for nearly 6 years and I played Starcraft just as long with some overlap between them. But StarCraft 2 felt way too specific. IN SC1 you could be creative with your strategy. In SC2 you have to have specific unit counters and situations memorized once you start trying to compete on the high end of the ladder and it doesn't feel like a challenging game anymore, it feels like a job.

Funny enough though the same logic applies to fighting games and I am way into those.
For example, most people play street fighter wrong and don't understand how the combo and attack inputs truly work. If you jump in with Ryu and punch a guy in the face, you can hold the punch button, then the do the quarter circle and release to hit him with a follow up fireball. And you can chain inputs and animations like that all day long. Want to grab your opponnent but can't quite reach? Do a heavy punch then put the throw in when your characters arm is outstretched. It increased the range of the grab.

Now that arcades are coming back in my area I've gotten back into the good games and I'm probably going to go to EVO 2017. Lose spectacularly in pools and then hang out with people.